These meatless meatballs were a HUGE hit! Made with grated zucchini, garlic, Pecorino Romano, basil, bread crumbs and egg, then baked in the oven and finished in a pomodoro sauce. Serve them as an appetizer, over zoodles, whole wheat pasta or with a crusty piece of bread on the side.
- 1 1/2 cup finely diced raw zucchini, not peeled (about 1 large zucchini)
- 1 1/4 cup Gluten Free Panko Crumbs
- 1 garlic clove, finely crushed
- 3 eggs, size 6
- 3/4 cup grated Romano cheese
- Salt, pepper
- Step 1 Preheat oven to 180C.
- Step 2 Wash the zucchini and remove the ends, keep the skin on for extra fibers.
- Step 3 Finely diced the zucchini in small pieces.
- Step 4 Place the small zucchini cubes into a mixing bowl and using a spoon, combine with eggs, garlic, panko crumbs, mint and cheese.Adjust salt and pepper regarding taste.
- Step 5 It will form a moist batter that comes easily together. If too moist or stick too much to your hands, add slightly more crumbs, 1 tablespoon at a time until you can easily shape balls with your hands. You should not use more than 4 extra tablespoon of gluten free panko crumbs.
- Step 6 Form golf size balls rolling the batter into your hands,.
- Step 7 Place each balls onto a greased cookie sheet. I used 1 tablespoon of olive oil to rub onto the cookie sheet.
- Step 8 Shape the balls until no more batter left. I made 15 balls with this batter.
- Step 9 Bake for 20 minutes or until the outside is golden and crispy.
- Step 10 add your red sauce of choice over the baked zucchini balls and add your favorite grated cheese on top and serve!.