Whenever the weatherman predicts a big snow, you can almost hear the collective cries of joy from children, and the sighs of resignation from the adults who know they’re going to have stir crazy kids at home. Somehow the initial excitement always seems to wear off way too early in the day, leaving hours still to be filled.
Before your brood drives you batty, scan through this list of things to do at home on a snow day, from baking projects to cool crafts and fun games. We think you’ll find enough ideas to keep them happily entertained until the school bus pulls up again. Have fun and good luck!
- Try some science experiments.
- Make hot chocolate
- Set up a game of indoor bowling.
- Craft a toy parachute out of a plastic bag.
- Bake a cake in a mug, or cook slice and bake sugar cookies and then give the kids food markers to decorate them.
- Make snowflake garlands.
- Get a jump-start on your Easter egg prep.
- Have an indoor snowball fight.
- Paint with salt.
- Make your own play dough.
- Collaborate on story stones and spin some tales.
- Go against the grain and make yogurt pops.
- Craft friendship bracelets from last summer’s tees.
- Make a toy slingshot.
- Put on a play.
- Turn a pair of gloves into a bunny puppet.
- Have an indoor picnic, or throw a fancy tea party.
- Make marshmallow snowmen.
- Host a living room campout.
- Draw on the windows with dry-erase markers.
- Throw some apple chips in the oven.
- Get messy with DIY slime.
- Set up a photo booth.
- Get moving with some indoor games.
- Make clothespin animals.
Try some of these other ideas for at-home play and crafts. Stay Warm!