This soup is loaded with nutrition and you get plenty of protein from the chicken, kale and beans. It’s so hearty and filling and amazingly delicious. I added a bit of lemon juice because I love the way lemon pairs with both chicken and kale. I also chose to add in the beans since I am a huge fan of beans – all sorts actually. With this soup you have the option of adding your own favorite bean (red, white, black ect…). Why not sprinkle some cheese on top as well? Everything is better with a little bit of cheese, no? If you are really aiming to be healthy you could leave it the cheese out but I say it’s worth the calories to add a tablespoon or two of parmesan.
Easy Chicken Kale Soup
- • 1 1/4 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts (raw)
- • 1 1/4 cups chopped yellow onion (1 medium onion)
- • 1 cup chopped celery (about 3 stalks)
- • 4 cloves garlic, minced
- • 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- • 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- • 1/2 tsp dried rosemary, crushed
- • 4 (14.5 oz) cans low-sodium chicken broth (7 cups)
- • Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- • 1 (15.5 oz) can Great Northern or Cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- • 4 cups packed kale, roughly chopped (thick ribs chopped and discarded)
- • 3 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- • 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- • Finely shredded parmesan cheese, for serving
- Step 1 • Add chicken to a 6 or 7 quart slow cooker, then add onions, celery and garlic, then drizzle with olive oil, thyme, rosemary and pour in chicken broth. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Cover and cook on HIGH 3 1/2 – 4 hours or LOW 7 – 8 hours.
- Step 2 • Remove chicken, let rest 10 minutes then cut into bite size pieces and return to soup. Meanwhile, add in beans, kale, parsley and lemon juice, then cover and continue to cook on HIGH heat another 10 – 20 minutes until kale has reached desired doneness. Serve warm topped with parmesan cheese.